It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Time for visiting friends and family, going to parites, baking, cooking and snuggling with the ones we love in front of a crackling fire. Time to give back to those we hold near and dear as we give thanks for our blessings. Here is our 9th annual list of gift suggestions for the modern design lovers in your life (or a few things for your own wish list), in no particular order.
Blenko Glass Factory Print by Charley Harper – this first appeared in the July 1966 issue of Ford Times Magazine. Available locally at Fabulous Frames & Art (see art show date and hours below).
Charley Harper Blenko Glass Ornament – #theyhadmeAtgreen Available locally at Fabulous Frames & Art.
Curated Cincinnati – To make shopping local even more fun and rewarding, this deck of shopping cards offers a 20% discount to one of a kind merchants in the greater Cincinnati area (like Fern & Fabulous Frames mentioned here, and our personal favorite for kitchen gadgets, Artichoke @ Findlay Market). Give the deck as a gift, or buy it yourself to save on your own holiday shopping list. Order online or pick one up at the Crafty Supermarket or City Flea (see dates below)
We are so happy that our local author bookshelf is expanding! Here are two titles published this year by friends of cincinnatimodern.
About Design: Insights and Provocations for Graphic Design Enthusiasts – By Gordon Salchow (1940 – 2019), professor emeritus at University of Cincinnati College of Design, Architecture, Art & Planning. It was a high and humbling compliment for us to have been chosen to sell this design guru’s house several years ago. His book was written for design geeks like all of us.
Ohio Tiki: Polynesian Idols, Coconut Trees and Tropical Cocktails – Y’all know we love Tiki culture. Here is a book on my wishlist about Ohio’s midcentury tiki past. The next best thing to a time machine!
Karvd Tiki Wood Wall Panels – Fabulous way to create a MCM or Tiki inspired headboard. 4 of these fit the king size bed in our guest room perfectly! Pairs great with vintage McCobb, too 😉
Brady Bunch in Hawaii Pillow – Inspired by the Very Brady Renovation? Make everyday a Sunshine Day! #oliver #taboo #tiki #vincentprice (yes, I am watching the Brady Bunch as I type this….)
cb2 Modern Menorah – You will want to leave this beautiful & simple modern design on display year round!
Esher Pillar Sculpture – Even though it is mass produced for cb2, this aluminum sculpture looks and feels like a real piece of art!
Chulucanas Pottery – Another affordable cb2 find that mixes beautifully with vintage MCM pieces is this Peruvian pottery.
Gold Bakeware – Our tried and true favorite baking & roasting pans from Williams-Sonoma. We especially love these for roasting veggies. And baking my famous Christmas cookies!
Modern House Numbers & Modern Door – Not making a great first impression? You can fix that in a jiffy with Feather River Metro Collection modern doors (order-able through Home Depot) and these statement 8” house numbers in SoCal font.
Winterlights at Newfields – Indianapolis Museum of Art – Sometimes you just want to give the gift of experience! Winterlights is open nightly from 5-9 November 23 – January 5. If you have never been to this museum & nature campus on the grounds of the Lilly estate, you are in for a treat. And if you go, don’t miss one of the best museum stores in the country.
Here’s just one item from their curated collection of gifts:
Fowing Rhythm Mobile – you can’t go wrong with this classic 1955 design by Christian Flensted.
Square Ray-Bans – The hometown folks at Luxottica have re-issued these classic Groovy 1971 Square #modsquad sunnies.
And don’t forget to shop local:
- City Flea Holiday Market – Saturday, December 14 from 4:00 – 9:00 at Washington Park
- Crafty Supermarket – Saturday & Sunday, November 30 & December 1, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. @ Music Hall
- Hunky Dory Studio – available online or at Crafty Supermarket
- Fern – THE source for modern plants and planters 6040 Hamilton Ave, College Hill
- MiCA 12/v – corner of 12th and Vine in OTR
- Artichoke OTR – coolest kitchen gadgets anywhere. Adjacent to Findlay Market.
- Leftcoast Modern – 1202-1204 Main Street in OTR
- Mainly Art – 3711 Madison Road, Oakley
- Modern Art Jewelry – 8316 Plainfield Road, Deer Park
- Fabulous Frames and Art – the definitive source for all things Charley, Edie, and Brett Harper. Several locations around town including Montgomery, Kenwood, Tri County and Downtown. Don’t miss their Annual Harper Holiday Show on Saturday, Dec. 7, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Montgomery location.
- Cincinnati Zoo – memberships and gift items that support conservation and our local treasure
- cf3 – gift membership to cincinnati’s only group dedicated to the preservation and celebration of midcentury modern design & architecture
Thank you all for a wonderful 2019 and wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020! And we hope you stay tuned for the new and improved cincinnatimodern.com website coming very, very soon…….