If you are an MCM homeowner, you quickly find out that shopping at the BIG BOX store is not always going to get you what you need or want for your vintage pad. Here is our list of local Cincinnati and internet vendors and contractors who may have or be able to do what you need.
Need something and don’t see it here or have a recommendation for this list? ….please let us know!
- Windows – local – Pickens Window Service – Have old aluminum awning windows or sliding doors with warn out rollers? These folks have over 6 million parts in stock for old windows. And they will come out and fix your sliding doors. Amazing!
- Doors – local – (gasp!) Home Depot – First impressions count! No more truly heinous doors with brass and glass and nasty molding! Believe it or not, this big box store has doors that are reasonable, good quality and MODERN. There are many other special order sources through local lumber companies, and prices vary widely. More sources found here on The Spruce
- Plumbing Fixtures – local – Noel’s Plumbing Supply – need a toilet seat for your vintage blue or pink toilet? They might have it….
- Faucet Parts – internet – faucetpartsplus.com – has handles and other parts for vintage crane, american standard, kohler and other brands.
- Roofing – local – T.H.E. Roofing – they held our old flat roof together for 16 years until we finally had them replace it (after a tree limb crashed through). They did a fantastic job. Just be particular with the trim pieces and gutters – ‘K’ gutters are often not appropriate on modern houses. Call Larry Hardtke – 513.353.3332
- ‘Vintage’ Building Supplies – local – Building Value, ReStore and Cincinnati ReUse Center – donated building salvage, the stock changes daily. You never know what you are going to find! Keeps re-usable items out of the landfills and proceeds benefit Easter Seals (Building Value) and Habitat for Humanity (ReStore). The ultimate ‘green’ experience, and you just may find that yellow Crane sink you have been looking for!
- Architectural Hardware – local – Bona Decorative Hardware is a great local source for knobs, pulls, etc…
- NEW green building materials – local – Greener Stock has green building materials, most of which are inherently modern. They even have Linoleum and Marmoleum! 3747 Eastern Ave in Columbia Tusculum.
- Cork Flooring – internet – Eco Friendly Flooring – A Madison, WI based company with awesome ‘green’ flooring products. The zebra cork in our bedroom came from them and of all the cork flooring we have used, this is the best!
- Low Voltage Lighting – local – Leitner Electric. internet – Kyle Switchplates – here is their description of these ‘futuristic’ lighting systems: Vintage low voltage wiring systems installed throughout the U.S. during the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s were created with modern living in mind, giving homeowners more flexibility and control over the functionality of their home. Inspired by industrial systems that relied on relay switches to control motors, lights and other industrial equipment, vintage remote control wiring systems used relays to switch a current; these relays, in turn, were controlled by small light switches operating at a low voltage comparable to that of a doorbell. Because the relays only required a brief impulse to switch the current, the light switches were momentary (the low volt current only flowed for as long as the light switch was pressed) and this allowed for safer electrical wiring as well as less energy consumption. In addition, each momentary switch could be wired to perform the same function as a single pole switch, 3-way switch or 4-way switch, so one could operate a single light from multiple remote locations without complicated wiring.
- Concrete Polishing – local – Reflective Crete
- Concrete Installation (including exposed aggregate) – local– Kyle 513.431.1112
Looking to do a home improvement job or build a new modern house? Never underestimate the value of hiring a professional architect or designer! Here are some great Cincinnati MODERN architects:
- Chris Magee, Architect – 513.550.2339 [email protected] an important member of the cincinnatimodern team
- Mike Keifling, Architect – [email protected]
- SKL Architecture – Stephanie Labbe
- RM Interiors – Renan Menninger 513.374.2858
- Damon Long DesignBuild General Contractor – [email protected] 859.609.4912